Koss Construction Company was founded by George C. Koss in 1912 in Des Moines, Iowa. Koss Construction Company today is a leading general contractor specializing in highway and airfield construction headquartered in Topeka, Kansas. The last one-hundred years of history is the foundation that allows Koss to deliver a wide array of products and services to a multitude of owners with a consistent emphasis on safety, quality and integrity. The men and women who have joined us know that we are big enough to do what we say, and small enough to manage our every endeavor as though it is our most important.
The Corporate Safety Director is responsible for development, implementation, training and administration of Company safety and health policies, programs and practices. The position will function as an advisor to management on technical and regulatory issues and act as a consultant for Operations to increase efficiency and secure a safe working environment. The role ensures compliance with Koss, federal, state and local government Safety & Health regulations and requirements. The position reports to the President. Typical duties include:
- Work closely with all levels of the organization to effectively implement a world class safety program.
- Develop, monitor and update safety regulatory and awareness policies and educational training for company management, supervisors, and employees. Revise current policies and procedures to meet changes in Operations and/or regulatory requirements.
- Dissemination of governing safety regulations, appropriate industry “best practices” as well as internal “best practices” to company management, supervisors, and employees to ensure continuous learning and improvement in Safety & Health performance.
- Analyze safety performance, make recommendations and drive positive change. Communicate to leadership and Operations the requirements for improving performance including addressing issues, concerns and corrective actions.
- Developing, monitoring, and disseminating company safety goals and/or benchmarks to company employees and subcontractors.
- Participate in project safety meetings as well as significant safety incident investigations and root cause analysis.
- Securing project specific Emergency Plans including local first response contacts and company contacts.
- Manage interactions and effectively communicate with all levels of the company, outside support/consulting and regulatory agency personnel.
- Investigating complaints on possible safety violations/deficiencies and make recommendations to President for correction of deficiencies.
- Monitoring and completing all required Safety and OSHA reporting to governmental agencies.
- Develop and provide safety reports and explain overall safety performance.
- Review all Accident Investigation Reports and complete follow-up investigations as needed. Disseminate findings and recommendations to company management.
- Develop trend analysis and implement appropriate action plans.
- Manage compliance audits, self audits and action item tracking to timely closure.
- Create and manage safety audits and behavior observations of employee and subcontractor work activities and interact with Operations with safety walks on a regular basis to evaluate status and compliance with safety policies and governing regulations. Where there are gaps, work closely with the right resources to educate, coach and take action to help close the gaps. Provide feedback to President and other personnel as needed.
- Provide training for FMCSA regulatory training
- Annual review and update of current and any new safety-related policies in Company Policy Manual
- Stays abreast of industry trends and regulations, maintains certifications and seeks continuous avenues for growth and improvement
- Pursue involvement with professional and trade associations
- Develop Construction HR & Safety Officers as it relates to safety
- Based at Corporate office in Topeka, Kansas
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Safety, Safety & Health, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering) or equivalent combination of education and technical experience
- 5+ years of progressive Health & Safety experience
- Experience working with government regulations and a thorough knowledge of federal, state and local government Health & Safety regulations (OSHA, ANSI, DOT, etc.)
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, with the ability to identify and act upon safety improvement opportunities
- Highly motivated, energetic, self-directed individual with good analytical and problem solving skills including root cause and risk analysis methodologies
- Outstanding interpersonal, written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proven leadership and teamwork skills to work collaboratively and influence those with limited safety and health experience
- Understanding of Safety & Health principles and an ability to communicate technical concepts effectively to a varied audience
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, maintain attention to detail and recognize time constraints
- Able to adapt quickly, while managing a busy workload
- Ability to travel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software programs
- Professional safety designation (i.e. CSP)
- AED/CPR/basic First Aid certifications
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Comprehensive medical, hospitalization, prescription drug and dental coverage
- Company provided life insurance and long term disability
- Retirement program
- Company provided vehicle
- Potential for relocation package