GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, including OSHA, EPA, DOT, FAA, DEA, and DHS and corporate EHS policies, throughout the Ferndale and New Hudson facilities. Establishes local EHS goals in conjunction with site management. Monitors monthly progress toward achieving goals and takes action, as needed, to meet them. Communicates with regulatory and external agencies. Responsible for preparing, executing, and managing various EHS systems and tools in order to maintain compliance in the facilities. The position reports to the Director of Operations, Ferndale, with functional reporting to Americas Regional EHS Manager.
Develop and implement programs, projects and safety initiatives as needed to support the overall EHS environment, managing all ongoing EHS site projects. Examples include the following:
o Industrial Hygiene (IH) base line monitoring and system improvement if needed.
o Ventilation/exhaust scrubbing system evaluation.
o Ergonomic evaluations.
o Development of substance specific Occupational Safety & Health Guidelines for hazardous chemicals.
· Drive and manage the site specific development of safety standards, managing their implementation.
· On-site and accessible during key hours (6:00 am – 2:30 pm), leading daily safety huddles at start of shifts, ensuring prompt communication across shifts.
· Ensure standard implementation of MacDermid Enthone Employee Health & Safety (EH&S) policies, compliance with local, state, and federal regulations throughout the Ferndale and New Hudson sites, providing site expertise for interpretation of regulatory requirements.
- Prepare all federal, state and provincial regulatory EH&S reporting and permitting submittals (SARA, TRI, etc), managing DEA, DHS and other specific programs with outside agencies.
· Manage 14001 Environmental Management System including certification. Perform routine auditing of site(s) against the ISO, regulatory and corporate standards to ensure compliance, including the communication of system performance to management in accordance with Health & Safety Environmental Management System (HSEMS) requirements.
· Act as liaison between site(s), supply chain, corporate and external agencies, regarding compliance issues, facilitating communication and exchange of information across the Americas network.
· Develop, conduct, implement and document safety, health and environmental training programs to meet standards and continuous improvement goals. Manage/conduct monthly training sessions to ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA, etc. (including special training – HAZWOPER, RCRA, First Aid, etc.) and also the following:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Emergency Response
- Lock Out Tag Out
- Respirator Program
- Fall Protection
- Ergonomic Program and other programs as appropriate to improve safety performance and meet State, Federal and local requirements.
- Prevent and reduce spill, injury, and emergency response incidents:
o Work with supply chain leadership and site management to establish annual goals.
o Maintain system to track performance against goals.
o Lead site incident and accident investigations to identify root causes and manage the implementation of corrective actions.
o Analyze safety statistics to identify trends and develop programs/projects to address.
· Manage waste water treatment operation (troubleshoot as needed, setup self-monitoring samples, complete reporting requirements – 6 month, permit application, slug plan, etc.)
· Manage hazardous waste program (weekly checks, setup waste loads, work with vendor, maintain profiles, biennial report, etc.) and non-hazardous waste storage and disposition.
· Prepare and process safety management and risk management plans
· Provide assistance as needed with respect to satellite storage, weekly inspections and shipments
· Utilize corporate systems to report, track and monitor site EHS incidents and safety statistics. Examples include the following:
o Americas EHS Compliance Calendar for the Ferndale Facility
o Manage New Incident Reporting System for Ferndale Facility
o Manage all EHS metric reporting for Ferndale Facility
· Provide assistance and serve as site contact for remediation activities and transportation safety systems (DOT, IATA, IMDG).
· Develop, maintain the site emergency response programs.
- Manage OSHA and equivalent programs
- Lead HAZWOPER spill response team
- Oversee and ensure that all EH&S control, monitoring, record keeping and reporting requirements (Global Incident Repots) are satisfied and maintain appropriate documentation
- Act as liaison with all federal, state and provincial regulatory agencies
· Manage Risk Management Plan (RMP), updating with EPA as needed, conducting Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), internal and external compliance audits per schedule, and annual SOP checks.
· Ensure safety on the floor (make sure procedures are being followed, PPE being used, corrective actions being implemented, etc.)
· Lead response activities (spills, injuries, etc.)
· Prepares and executes the management of various systems and tools to maintain compliance at the facility level to include maintaining environmental and operating permits and modifying as appropriate to suit operating changes in manufacturing plants.
· Maintains Site Compliance Calendar Tasks.
· Case Management of all Site Injury and Worker’s Compensation (WC) cases.
Record keeping and documentation management.
Incident reporting and (CPRO) corrective action systems.