Environment, Health, and Safety (EH&S) Division Director - 84838
Berkeley Lab is seeking an Environment, Health, Safety (EH&S) Division Director. This role serves as a key member of the Laboratory Operations Leadership Team and manages the EH&S Division. This critical role is responsible for providing leadership, information, technical assistance, policy development, and oversight that enables line management to maintain a safe workplace environment, promote safety as an institutional core value, and insure that Berkeley Lab’s scientific and technical research activities are conducted in compliance with applicable policies and regulations. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer/Deputy Lab Director (COO/DLD) for Berkeley Lab.
The EH&S Division Director will:
• As a key member of the Laboratory Operations Leadership Team, the EH&S Division Director will be called upon to make substantial leadership recommendations and contributions toward achieving the Laboratory's performance goals, forge partnerships inside and outside of the Lab and to pursue best management practices, in support of Berkeley Lab’s scientific mission.
• Lead, direct, and oversee all EH&S operations, including Waste Management, Radiation Protection, Environmental Services, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, and Health Services functions to maintain a safe and healthy environment for Laboratory employees, guests and visitors in support of the scientific mission of the Laboratory.
• Conduct ongoing long-range planning to identify and implement new programs and policies to insure compliance with changing governmental guidelines and regulations, achieve performance goals, and to pursue best management practices.
• Provide leadership to develop a meaningful definition of safety culture for the Berkeley Lab and in implementing that vision throughout the organization.
• Proactively build partnership relationships with all levels of the Laboratory community. This includes effective collaboration with Department of Energy (DOE) external regulatory agencies, the general public, other National Laboratories, University of California (UC), and the UC Office of the President (UCOP) to provide innovative leadership for quality and excellence in customer service.
• Partner effectively with other Lab leaders to implement new or improve existing programs that cross divisional lines consistent with strategic planning goals and initiatives. Insure that the EH&S Division actively supports and is integrated with the Laboratory's scientific/technical research programs.
• Provide leadership and direction to fulfill the Division’s continuous process improvement program, including measurement systems, benchmarking, and surveys.
• Develop and implements Laboratory policies and procedures that insure effective administration of safety programs.
• Demonstrate responsiveness, cooperation, and consistent problem-solving when representing the EH&S Division with the internal management structure.
• Address management and resource challenges in a tightly constrained and dynamic environment.
• Define, articulate and develop the EH&S Division short and long term strategic operating plans, policy, procedures, and practices in support of the Lab’s goals and objectives.
• Work as a member of the Operations Leadership Team providing leadership, guidance and support to Operations initiatives and cross-division activities. Keep management advised on latest developments in all areas of responsibility and advises on actions and progress towards meeting the goals and objectives in those areas.
The EH&S Division Director is a proven leader that is results driven, makes critical decisions using data and sound judgement, is fiscally responsible and serves in the best interest of the Lab community, University of California and Department of Energy - Office of Science. The EH&S Division Director promotes values of diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as safety and security.
The position will remain open until filled, however for full consideration, please apply by June 30, 2018.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=134380 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.