General Stamping & Metalworks, Inc. is looking for a seasoned Health and Safety (H&S) Manager to succeed our retiring Manager at our metal forming facility in South Bend, IN. The position will also direct the H&S processes in our Tomah, WI facility. The position provides H&S leadership to all employees. We are looking for a motivated and adaptable candidate who will become a valued member of our management team. The ideal candidate is a Certified Safety Professional, or Certified Industrial Hygienist with an MS in Health & Safety or Industrial Hygiene. Associate Safety Professionals and Certified Associate Industrial Hygienists will be considered. OSHA 501 authorization is a plus. The successful candidate will also be experienced with computerized safety management systems and Microsoft Office.
We are ready to act immediately on those candidates who are the best fit for the role. You’ll first hear from Corporate Recruiter who will schedule a phone screening followed by in-person interviews with our current H&S Manager, Cultural Development Director, and VP of Manufacturing. We pride ourselves on moving through the processes quickly, and you can be sure of transparency and prompt communication throughout.
This position directs all site H&S activities and is responsible for ensuring the Company's practices comply with regulatory and other requirements. The manager also provides consultation to Site Management to foster continual improvement in H&S matters. The position reporta to the Director of Cultural Development.
- Develop, implement, and maintain H&S Programs that allow all GSM facilities to operate in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Prepare and file all legal reports on a timely basis (i.e. OSHA log, OSHA reporting, EAP reporting, etc.).
- Review, update, and maintain core safety programs such as LOTO, Machine Guarding, Confined Space, PIT, PPE, etc.
- Work with the Training Manager to develop and present training programs that address required Health and Safety topics.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate monthly H&S Key Performance Indicators.
- Communicate all H&S issues in a timely manner.
- Audit effective application of established H&S procedures, utilization of safety equipment and devices.
- Implement a hazard recognition and control program to investigate and eliminate hazardous conditions and unsafe practices.
- Lead the site Safety Committee and manage the committee’s ongoing initiatives.
- Lead incident investigations for near misses and safety incidents to determine the root cause(s) and drive corrective actions to completion.
- Manage control and disposal of all hazardous wastes and materials.
- MS degree in EHS - (BS considered)
- Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist - (ASP/CAIH considered)
- OSHA Authorized Trainer for General Industry (OSHA 501) a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of experience providing H&S support to a manufacturing facility location with preference to metal forming related manufacturing.
- Experience/background with H&S management systems.
- Strong safety background with knowledge of OSHA regulations including expertise in machine guarding, ergonomics, electrical safety, and risk assessment.
- Analytical abilities necessary to plan and prioritize own work, complete work on schedule and maintain required records and logs.
- Proficient in root cause analysis and problem solving techniques.
- Able to learn new concepts, processes, etc. quickly and utilize them within a team.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and deal with rapidly changing priorities.
- Proven track record of working “hands on” to facilitate improvements to safety performance.
- Strategic and creative thinker with ability to develop actionable programs that integrates soundly with business objectives.
- Experience in a leadership role; able to guide and direct a team towards a common goal.
- Ability to facilitate and guide a large number of hourly and salary employees.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; enthusiastic, team player and self-starter.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Good oral, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to write routine reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of customers or employees.
- Strong computer skills and experience using Microsoft Office and web-based software system.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining H&S management systems in conformance to ISO 14001 and OSHAS 18001 standards is a plus.