Manager of Construction Safety
Perform as the Manager of Construction Safety for USNR (company). This individual will direct, supervise, and support a team of 5 to 10 on-site construction safety personnel. This safety team will provide safety support to a variety of construction site in the US and Canada. The sites will be primarily wood processing facilities (sawmills, pellet mills, wood panel plants, etc.). The team will ensure a safe and healthful work environment for the employees involved in the construction at these sites.
Site Specific Safety Plans
- Maintain and continually update company Construction Safety Program(s)
Prepare site specific safety plans for larger projects.
Participate in the hiring, training, or placement of on-site safety staff.
Review and update all site-specific safety plans with project teams.
Develop on-site safety personnel to lead and participate in pre-job safety meetings with subcontractors.
Lead incident investigations and ensure corrective action for deficiencies.
In partnership with company’s corporate safety department, coordinate efforts to facilitate alliance on overall safety initiatives.
- Accept and review all subcontractor job specific safety programs. Follow up on implementation and procedures as required.
Review subcontractor pre-qualification documentation to ensure they have an acceptable safety record and communicate with the appropriate team members of their acceptance or rejection.
Ensure all subcontractors are aware of and meet company’s general safety conditions and/or environmental requirements that may apply at specific job sites.
Plan and implement risk management, safety policies and procedures in compliance with all federal, state, provincial, and/or municipal rules and regulations.
Act as primary contact for any federal, state, provincial, and/or or municipal safety or risk management authority.
- Serve as principal source of information on health and safety issues for the project teams and on-site safety personnel.
- Provide recommendations and assistance to Project Managers, with respect to job site hazards, employee training, new/safe equipment operation and safe material or substance utilization.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a constructive manner with clients, subcontractors, co-workers and management.
Frequently communicate with company management, Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety Manager, and site Project Manager to keep them apprised of pertinent issues.
Remain current on federal, state, provincial, and/or municipal rules and regulations. Keep management advised of new or revised regulations and their projected impact.
- Plan and implement programs to train Project Managers and employees in work site safety practices and safe equipment operating techniques for job sites.
Ensure new employees receive safety instructions prior to beginning work. Emphasize any specific site hazards and thoroughly explain all applicable precautions.
Provide or ensure training and education for all levels of project staff, as required, by federal, state, provincial, and/or municipal rules and regulations.
- Inspect organization facilities and job sites to detect existing potential accident and health hazards. Determine corrective or preventative measures, where indicated, assign responsibility and follow up to ensure the corrective measures have been implemented.
Conduct periodic safety inspections on all job sites to ensure safety procedures are in place.
Education (Preferred not required):
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, or other related field.
OSHA Certified (30 hour course).
Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
Experience (Preferred not required):
Two (2) years' experience in construction safety management.
- Five (5) years of dedicated safety experience.
Industrial job site safety experience.
Ability and willingness to travel.
Valid driver's license.
Excellent leadership and communication skills.
Ability to deal with situations involving sensitive and confidential information/issues.
Ability to organize work, engage in variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines.
Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Knowledge of OSHA, DOSH, ANSI, NFPA, EPA and Workers Compensation regulations.
Please send your resume for consideration to Adrienne Bootsma, Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety Manager via email to email@example.com