SALARY TARGET IS $85,000 - $95,000. Final salary will be determined in part by the qualifications of the selected candidate and may be higher or lower than target.
Manages the operations and activities of the Safety Training Programs team within the Learning and Support department in providing strategic support to all client departments throughout the Authority. Implements departmental strategic objectives, develops, and provides direction and content for employee training programs, specific to safety training, consistent with department and Authority goals and objectives.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIESPlans, manages, and coordinates the activities of department personnel responsible for designing training solutions that bridge skill gaps in work procedures and performance and increase workplace safety awareness.
- Reviews completed work of staff for conformance to user department's request and the Authority's policies, procedures, and safety standards.
- Confers with Authority management to determine training initiatives, analyze training needs, set objectives, and assess the overall effectiveness of training efforts.
- Ensures that training programs and publications are in compliance with safety standards and regulatory laws/standards/procedures set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), city ordinances, state and federal agencies, or by government legislation.
Keeps abreast of and reviews industry best practices in training programs and integrates these findings into instruction content and delivery and management strategies.
- Maintains knowledge of training development, instructional design, adult learning and expertise in operations in OSHA safety regulations, serving in a consultant capacity to client department and members of the Training department.
- Maintains certifications to train on Hazwoper, OSHA 10 hour and 30 hour (general industry and construction), forklift operator, and confined space trainings.
- Measures outcome of training programs and initiates post-training review program.
Ensures staff maintains awareness of ongoing changes in the Authority's Maintenance, Engineering and Construction, and Warehouse equipment groups to keep training relevant to the needs of the user groups. Ensures that staff maintains awareness of safety uses presented to Authority employees.
Directs and training staff to apply learning technologies in the development and delivery of training programs. Hires, trains, develops, monitors, and evaluates the performance of staff.
Reviews and recommends personnel actions for approval.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Reporting to this position are the following jobs:
- Safety Training Specialist
- Coordinator, Safety Training
- Keeping abreast of all CTA operations as they relate to safety and safety training.
- Designing and developing high quality training programs for a variety of audiences.
- Managing multiple initiatives, balancing competing priorities, and meeting deadlines with timeliness and accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree in Applied Science, Engineering, Occupational Health and Safety Education, Business, or a related field, plus four (4) years of experience in the development and implementation of training and instructional design, or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to this position.
- Requires sitting for extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity, and fingering for working with computer key boards.
- When in the field - must be able to tolerate extreme weather conditions and long intense work periods.
- May be required to work at extreme heights, near the electrified third rail, or in subway tunnels with limited clearance, visibility, etc.
- Detailed knowledge in workplace safety including, but not limited to, OSHA regulations, forklift operation, hazardous communication, confined space and blood borne pathogen standard.
- Detailed knowledge of federal safety procedures and technical knowledge of the equipment used in the general maintenance and construction industry.
- Detailed knowledge in current training methods and techniques, instructional design models, and state of the art training aids, such as audiovisuals, computer generated artwork, mock-ups, and interactive multimedia computer-based training.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills in dealing with external groups and/or organizations.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to motivate a group and encourage team development, build team morale, and support team building.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to work with sensitive information while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously