Western States is looking for a Safety & Environmental Manager in our northern territory, covering the most beautiful areas of Idaho, Washington, and Montana. This successful employee will fill a vital role in the continued success of our safety culture, supported by some of top executive leaders in the industry.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for administering Western States’ environmental health and safety programs which includes implementing and maintaining company safety and environmental health and industrial hygiene programs, systems and procedures to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws in assigned territory. Provides individual coaching and formal training on safe work practices.
• Conducts Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) site inspections and audits, prepares gap analysis and action plans and follow-up visits to ensure compliance with EHS regulations and company policies in multi-location territory. Recommends corrective action where environment health and safety hazards exist.
• Assists management to interpret and apply technical regulatory requirements and company policy. Provides technical leadership and functional guidance to ensure regulatory standards are being enforced. Ensures that quality control procedures are executed to monitor all aspects of regulations.
• Implements company programs to achieve compliance, continuously improve performance, and meet customer requirements. Works with the Safety team to develop and deliver training.
• Facilitates injury reporting and incident analysis. Acts as point of contact for employees with Workers’ Compensation claims and coordinates with Human Resources to support claims management.
• Works with employees, local Safety Advocate Teams and management to identify concerns regarding hazards in the workplace. Monitors and prevents hazards and diseases that could be found in the work area. Recommends improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operation to minimize hazards.
• Collaborates in industry and regional EHS activities to share knowledge, influence decision making, and promote brand; collaborates with peers to share knowledge and best practices across the organization.
• Keeps updated on new developments in EHS regulations and incorporates this information into the company’s business planning.
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Participates as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Works within and promotes corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Expert knowledge of OSHA regulations for general industry. Proficient knowledge of MSHA regulations for mining industry.
• Proven ability to build productive relationships with all levels of the workforce and influence safe work behaviors.
• Proven ability to work independently and manage priorities and resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Proven written and verbal communication skills. Ability to present information to groups and respond to questions.
• Successful experience as a team member sharing information, following process, and recommending improvements. Ability to work with a team remote team.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with others to include customers, vendors, employees, governmental entities and the public.
• Frequent overnight travel required to manage territory of Spokane and Colville WA, Hayden and Lewiston ID, and Missoula, Kalispell and Butte MT. Occasional travel to other locations.
• Consistent attendance.