This position will support the execution of Ocean Mist Farms and affiliate Safety programs and ensure compliance with programs required by the company and all regulatory agencies. Coordinates and implements safety, injury and illness prevention programs, conducts related training, investigates accidents and identifies possible causes, recommends corrective action, and provides effective safety compliance support to management. This role requires a strong presence at all our field, cooler and plant operations.
SCOPE OF ROLE
- Coordination and administration of company safety programs to include, but not limited to, the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Emergency Action Plan & Evacuation Procedures, Hazard Communication, Tractor Safety, Forklift Safety, and Accident & Injury Response and Procedures.
- Inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices, in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Develop, conduct and facilitate safety training, certification and education programs, and demonstrate the use of safety equipment and machinery.
- Collaborate with safety management, maintenance, facilities and respective departments to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Provide support and lead role with environmental plans and ensure compliance with programs required by the Company and any other county, state and federal regulatory programs, including but not limited to the Risk Management Plan(RMP) and Process Safety Management(PSM).
- Investigate accidents, identify root causes, determine corrective and/or preventative action and ensure all described actions are completed.
- Provide on-boarding safety orientations and develop/prepare respective materials.
- Assist with Post Injury Management and Return-to-Work interactive process with injured employee(s), supervisor and Workers’ Compensation Manager.
- Lead periodic site inspections, annual safety compliance audit, and assist with governmental inspections and/or third-party audits.
- Serve as a resource for Safety, Workers’ Compensation and Employee Relations policies with managers and employees.
- Manage Motor Vehicle Record Driver Program, Random DOT Drug Testing and administer authorized driver Pull Program with Samba Safety software program.
- Serve as a key member of the safety board meetings and activities by providing leadership and subject matter expertise. Will facilitate safety board meetings as requested.
- Support all aspects of Human Resources team activities or execute other projects or process improvements as assigned.
The qualified candidate will be an effective advocate and, at all times, maintain a professional image that supports Ocean Mist Farms values, image and goals. A strong work ethic, unsurpassed integrity, confidentiality, punctuality, and job dedication is essential to be successful in this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources, or related field preferred but not required. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is highly desired.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience related in safety, workers’ compensation and human resources, preferably in an agricultural environment. Strong knowledge of current OSHA regulations, IIPP and compliance requirements.
- Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is required. This includes reading, writing legibly and communicating clearly and concisely. Must be able to communicate issues in a constructive manner and handle difficult and/or confidential situations in a professional and confidential manner.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications and other HRIS systems is required. Familiarity of Famous is highly desired.
- Valid class “C” California Driver’s license is required and must be insurable; possess or ability to obtain a valid passport for international unrestricted travel to Mexico is highly desired.
- Able to work Monday through Saturday; including Sundays and holidays as required.