The Safety Coordinator is responsible for promoting and ensuring the health and safety of project personnel and the community. This individual has a comprehensive knowledge of day to day field operations for their assigned project(s) including OSHA and environmental regulations, work methods, the construction planning process, and coordinating trainings and meetings in a pro-active interdependent manner. Safety Coordinators serve as the company’s point of contact for safety with owners, subcontractors, regulatory agencies and the Edison team. We have two open positions for this role. One will be supporting our operations in and around Detroit, MI and the other will be supporting our operations in and around Los Angeles, CA. However, both positions may require further travel to support other business operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Requires the experience, knowledge, and skills in safety to develop and deliver tactical day-to-day safety, health and related services to the assigned EPC customer base
· Manage new hire safety orientation program and provide ongoing job specific safety training
· Perform daily site safety inspections and inspect safety equipment
· Ensure subcontractor compliance regarding safety and health requirements
· Participate in fact finding causal analysis for injury/incident investigations and prepare incident and injury reports
· Manage all site safety documentation
· Participate in safety pre-construction meetings
· Facilitate mass safety meetings and required weekly tailgate safety meetings
· Compile materials for safety meetings, prepare agendas, and record meeting minutes
· Manage and coordinate substance abuse testing
· Facilitate Edison's “return to work program” with employees, medical professionals, and project personnel
· Support the activities of the local health and safety committee
· Serve as liaison for worker’s compensation reporting, case management, and recordkeeping and participate in Edison’s claims management process
· Requires the ability to work independently with minimal guidance on safety and health issues and program implementation
· Deliver safety and health initiatives in a manner that will lead culture change throughout the organization
· Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Industrial Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, or related field preferred
· Minimum of three (3) years full-time safety experience in the electrical transmission and distribution construction industry
· Current OSHA ET&D Trainer preferred
· Possession of a valid driver license
· OSHA certifications preferred
· Experience working in the Cal-OSHA regulated area
· Experience working on power transmission and or distribution construction projects
· Extensive working knowledge of OSHA regulations and ET&D Best Practices
· Advanced Safety/Industrial Hygiene Certifications (CUSP, CSP, ASP, CIH, OHST, or CHST) preferred
· Experience dealing with regulatory agencies and other safety and health professionals
· Intermediate to advanced computer skills with the ability to use MS Office with proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
· Effectively manages problem prevention strategies to limit reactionary practices
· Ensures project safety goals and expectations are realistic, achievable, and revisited/revised at appropriate times during the life of the project
· Clearly defines goals, understands audiences, manages productive meetings, and builds team morale
· Ability to address an audience of various sizes and effectively communicate his/her message and ideas
· Ability to write clear and concise thoughts in a professional manner
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
Safety is a shared responsibility of all Edison Power Constructors Inc. employees, therefore employees are required to follow safety standards, policies and procedures set forth by the Company in addition to complying with all occupational safety, health and environmental laws mandated by relevant local, state, and federal laws or regulations. If you have questions regarding safety, please contact a safety representative immediately.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, employee is frequently required to sit, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the job duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this role.
In the work environment the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions such as wet, humid conditions, ambient air, extreme temperatures, fumes or airborne particles, traffic, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, PTO, and more.