We are currently seeking a highly qualified Safety Engineer to join our Safety, Health and Environmental team in Richmond, VA. The selected candidate will be responsible for providing safety engineering and occupational safety and health subject matter expertise and for supporting key infrastructure within a safety management system for Altria & its family of companies. This position will have an enterprise-wide service delivery focus and be primarily responsible for safety policy, directives, and assessments (e.g. - conduct and reporting) in support of our safety management system.
Specific accountabilities include:
• Addressing technical, regulatory, and cultural issues and improvements in safety policy, directives, and safety training (e.g. - concept, design, development, delivery) in support of the safety management system.
• Developing and maintaining safety assessment systems and processes to support operational focus on injury prevention and regulatory compliance.
• Driving continuous improvement in assessment systems and processes through safety assessments that focus on strong regulatory compliance and support of our Injury Free Career culture.
• Assuring assessment system capabilities to include accurate and timely reporting.
• Coordinating safety programs for non-manufacturing operations to facilitate OSHA compliance and accident prevention.
• Assisting with the development of consistent safety management system infrastructure throughout Altria's family of companies to assure hazards are identified, high risk task procedures are standardized across all operations, and provisions are integrated to facilitate regulatory compliance.
• Maintaining professional knowledge of existing and proposed changes in federal, state and local safety and health laws and regulations.
• Maintaining current working knowledge of operations and safety engineering trends and technology that could impact the operation.Qualifications include:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in occupational safety and health, industrial hygiene, or a related field.
• A minimum of 6 years of progressive experience in the field.
• Demonstrated knowledge in occupational safety, with a focus on safety assessments and management system approaches.
• Recognition through board examination as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
• Demonstrated success in supporting the implementation a safety management system.
• Experience in statistical analysis, organizational/resource planning, program development and verbal and written presentations.
• Skilled in the use of technology and software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Livelink, Safety assessment databases, Internet/Intranet navigation).
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Critical thinking and project management skills.
• Collaborative leadership and the ability to interact with third parties to drive results.
• Must be willing to travel 20-30%, ability to walk long distances, climb stairs/ladders and to tolerate a variety of indoor and outdoor working conditions (temperature extremes, inclement weather, dust, noise).
• Must be willing to respond to emergencies as needed.
We are a Fortune 200 company, proud to call Richmond, Virginia our home. Our companies – which have been the undisputed market leaders in the U.S. tobacco industry for decades – include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, and U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, the maker of Copenhagen and Skoal. We also own John Middleton, manufacturer of Black & Mild cigars, Nat Sherman, a super-premium cigarette and cigar business and Nu Mark, an innovation company which makes e-vapor products like Mark Ten. We complement our total tobacco platform with Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, a collection of distinctive wine estates and maker of Chateau Ste. Michelle, and our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev – the world's largest brewer.
Altria Client Services’ role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. At Altria Client Services, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing opportunities for training, development and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our deferred profit sharing and incentive compensation programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: