3M is seeking a Safety Specialist for the Facilities and Services (FAS) Division located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Safety Specialist will assist in the coordination and completion of site EHS compliance objectives, while using engineering/scientific concepts, procedures, standards, and industry awareness to identify and resolve Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) issues.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing leadership for FAS EHS programs & training including but not limited to: Fall Protection, Lockout/Tagout (LOTO), Machine Guarding, Ergonomics, Confined Space Entry/Rescue, Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Center Incident Management (CIMS), Waste Management, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Assisting FAS in achieving Global Safety and Health Plan (GSHP) and Global Environmental Management Self- Assessment (GEMSA) goals and compliance.
- Applying scientific principles and behavioral based systems to drive EHS risk reduction efforts and compliance activities.
- Completing internal and external EHS compliance reports and analyze EHS data and report trends. Recommend plans for correction of gaps and provide EHS input to address change (e.g., FAS Management of Change (MOC) process and Maintenance Conscious Engineering (MCE).
- Implementing ergonomic programs to reduce risk of cumulative trauma and other ergonomic injuries.
- Actively supporting a Total Safety Culture environment through personal responsibility for safety, promoting a culture that reports incidents and potential issues, and actively supporting site safety observation programs.
- Participating and/or leading portions of EHS self-assessments and/or audits. Represent FAS during agency inspections, including but not limited to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), fire department and/ Ramsey County.
- Interactions/Communications: Providing EHS knowledge and services on existing and new programs; communicating project or program status and results to management.
- Communicating effectively in written and oral forms with peers and others at varying levels within the organization. Presenting ideas well one on one, in small groups, and to larger audiences. Having the ability to convey the meaning and importance of EHS topics to non-EHS personnel and to influence others to take appropriate action based on such information. Actively seeking to continually improve communication and presentation skills.
- Leadership to site safety committee and guidance on EHS regulatory interpretation.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance to site by leading or assisting in safety committee teams and meetings, including EHS regulatory interpretations.
- Providing EHS support in the design and installation of new or modified equipment via MOC process.
- Lead/participate in Lean Six Sigma Green Belt projects related to EHS improvement processes.
- Lead/participate in EHS incident investigations.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Safety, Engineering or Science discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of combined Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) experience working in a Maintenance, Manufacturing/Production and/or Research & Development environment (private, public, government or military)
- Master’s degree or higher in a Safety, Engineering or Science discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Certified Safety Professional® (CSP) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP)
- Experience in the design and implementation of risk assessment strategies, tools and systems
- Experience in development of EHS protocols, tools and systems, with a wide range of risk assessment methods, engineering control design and implementation experience
- Ergonomic Job Analysis (EJA) certification.
- Construction safety experience.
- Able to lead, influence and inspire others.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Strong project management skills and ability to set objectives and deliver results
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Microsoft Office proficient, experience with statistical analysis tools a plus
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 5% domestic
Relocation: Is not authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.