Transportation Safety Manager
Texas Outhouse and Gainsborough Waste are two companies, privately owned by the same family and operated together in the Houston, Texas area. Texas Outhouse is in the portable restroom business and Gainsborough is in the roll-off solid waste business. The businesses operate together out of two sites in Houston. They operate two separate transfer stations, a wastewater treatment plant, mechanical repair shops, equipment cleaning and refueling facilities, and offices. They have a truck fleet of 120 drivers and growing. Driver routes are local.
This position will be responsible for the company's entire safety systems which include transportation safety, shop and operational services, and office safety systems. The company is growing significantly and has not had a safety manager in the past so the person hired for this position will, above all, be responsible for developing a safety culture. This position will be responsible for systems and activities to maintain oversight of regulatory compliance status; provide training and development for CMV operators; coordinate and manage the accident management process; conduct audits and inspections of the transportation safety management process; and monitor metrics and indices reflecting performance; track and evaluate shop safety activities; responsible for office safety systems. Additionally, this position will be responsible to keep abreast of industry safety standards and to the interface with the company's insurance carriers. The position will also include the security systems for the two company sites.
The position will be responsible for the entire company's safety systems. In this role the safety manager will have to interact with and ectly influence the behavior, performance and knowledge base of the private fleet of CMV operators, mechanics and systems in the shop areas, operators in the transfer stations and water treatment plant, operators and systems used for cleaning equipment and fueling vehicles, and office and management staff. The position will have to evaluate and monitor site security systems as well.
Develop a safety culture across the company
· Develop and implement a risk-based assessment of how safe the business is at the present.
· Identify where the business wants to go with safety.
· Identify how the leadership and behavioral gaps can be addressed through changes in values and attitudes, the development of competencies and the creation of new patterns of behavior.
· Identify how changes should be communicated, understood and believed in by all employees.
· Implement objective reporting to both measure and support the changes required.
· Develop safety leadership culture at all levels of the business.
· Involve principles of continuous improvement and monitor the industry and insurance systems as a source of improvement for the company.
Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations regarding transportation and workplace safety.
· Monitoring driver qualification files and the hiring and ion process
· Reviewing hours of service records for accuracy
· Assuring DOT drug / alcohol program is compliant with regulations
· Work with maintenance vendors to assure PM compliance and demand maintenance are compliant
Oversee the Accident Management process including coordination of reporting, investigation, documentation and management of incidents
· Review accident file contents for accuracy and documents needed
· Gatekeeper for accident preventable decisions
· Assure proper accountability is delivered for preventable accidents
· Provide a comprehensive & accurate monthly report containing appropriate metrics
Provide monthly scorecards which include tactics and activities from a National perspective
Develop materials and conduct training for drivers and monitor performance
· Assure in vehicle driver training is completed with every active driver
· Assure vehicle inspection hands on training is completed with every active driver
· Assure load securement training is completed with every active driver
· Assure all active drivers are trained in close quarter maneuvering principles
· Monitor driver and operator performance and address trends
Mentor the competency of managers and supervisors in safety management practices, protocols and procedures
· Conduct an overall DOT compliance courses
· Create and communicate the accident management protocol for all managers
· Perform accident investigation training to all appropriate levels of the Company
Conduct Audits, Inspections, and Contract Evaluations
· Conduct DOT compliance audits
· Institute self-inspection protocols
· Conduct maintenance vendor audits to determine maintenance compliance with regulations
· Conduct periodic inspections of customer sites where the company is doing business.
· Review significant customer contracts to ensure that the company can meet safety standards.
· Knowledge of Office software and standard industry routing software.
· Intermediate knowledge of Analytical Tools (Hyperion, Data Mining/Reporting) and other logistics software
· Working knowledge of the performance management/ monitoring systems
· Working knowledge of federal and state safety laws, particularly FMCSR & OSHA standards.
· Analysis and identification of risk trends, problems and solutions.
· Ability to express slef clearly and concisely using appropriate mediums (for example, face-to-face, e-mail, and presentations), listen effectively, demonstrate understanding, and clarify meaning for others.
· Ability to analyze, define, diagnose, and resolve problems based on sound logic and rationale.
· Ability to develop, coach, and mentor others including the ability to provide development experiences and network opportunities, advise, and teach to prepare others for effective job performance.
Ability to interact cooperatively and collaborate with others as a team, including those holding divergent and/or opposing views and goals.
· Understand and apply meaningful operations and safety performance metrics.
· Ability to lead and influence in a matrix organization
· Ability to plan and execute events, safety meetings, accident review meetings, and safety celebrations.
· Develop and communicate informative presentations and strategies for stakeholders and managers to gain understanding and consensus.
· Possess extensive knowledge of OSHA 29 CFR 1910regulations
Education and Experience
· Bachelor's Degree Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain, Safety Management, or related fields
· 5+ years transportation safety management experience is required
· Have or be able to obtain a TWIC card and be experienced with requirements to do work inside Petrochemical Plants.
· Experience in waste management is not a requirement but is a plus
· Board certification as a Safety Professional is preferred
· Good communication skills are an absolute must
Compensation and Travel
· Base salary is $75k to $100k based on education and relevant experience
· Bonus programs are available
· Full benefits package
· Out of town travel is minimal
· Relocation expenses will not be provided for this position