- Under general direction, performs work requiring considerable initiative and independent judgment in planning and administering the District's Insurance and Risk Management programs.
- Certifications are a plus for this position, but not required.
Examples of Duties:
- Essential Functions: Provides leadership and manages the daily operations of the Risk Management Division; directs, develops and motivates staff to meet objectives that assist in achieving the Districts strategic business plan. Develop and implement strategies to minimize loss exposures and cost of the District's risk management programs; serve as liaison between the District's brokers and underwriters on all matters related to insurance strategies, terms and conditions of coverage and renewal negotiations including RFP development; supervise and provide direction to staff engaged in developing and monitoring the District's safety, maintain a close working relationship with all department heads with respect to risk management activities; loss prevention and Workers' Compensation claims management programs; prepare and administer the annual budget for the District's risk management function; advise senior management of loss exposures and recommended strategies to mitigate same develop and maintain an information system sufficient to allow for timely and accurate analysis of statistical information detailing the District's risk management performance; responsible for placing insurance carrier on notice of loss, and collecting insurance recoveries for the District. Considerable amount of time involved in claims administration. Oversee damage control efforts and activities which may include rebuild or reconstruction of District assets and second party claims.
- Additional Responsibilities: Manage Water Backup Claims and serve as a liaison between Third Party Claims Administrator and claimant to resolve claims. Manage Commercial Driver's License physical exams with medical provider. Serve as a liaison between Employee Assistance Program provider and District. Provide recommendations to Legal and Engineering departments regarding insurance requirements in contracts and specifications. Perform related work as required or as delegated by supervisor.
- Training and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in Risk Management or related field and six years of progressively responsible experience in claims management and/or safety and loss prevention with at least five years of management or supervisory experience.
- Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Extensive knowledge of the philosophy, principles, and procedures utilized in risk management; ability to plan, organize and manage risk management and loss control programs, including Workers' Compensation, liability, self-insurance and safety; ability to research information and analyze data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations and plans of action; considerable working knowledge of statistical concepts, methods and data collection procedures; considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consultants, public officials department directors and other District personnel; considerable ability to supervise and evaluate the work of others; considerable skill in expressing oneself clearly and concisely in both oral and written form.
- Must possess a valid driver's license issued by the state in which employee resides.
- Pursuant to MSD's "Substance Abuse Policy and Procedures," this position has been designated as safety sensitive and candidate must pass a Non-D.O.T. Drug Test for this position. Employees occupying this position are not subject to Federal (D.O.T.) Drug and
Alcohol Testing Regulations.
- Employees of MSD must have a proficient or higher overall rating on last review.