- For each of the major Lines of Businesses provided, ability to evaluate the operations of larger, more complicated or highest hazard commercial accounts, particularly in the line of specialty, to assess the level of risk and identify potential loss producing conditions and practices for each of the major Lines of Businesses provided to such customers as well as the presence and effectiveness of controls. Consult with other SMS's, underwriters and agents on the conditions identified and complete written risk assessment in accordance with internal quality assessment guidelines.
- Analyze the loss history of accounts to identify loss sources, trends in accident frequency and severity, reach meaningful conclusions from the analyses, and provide a clear summary of those analyses to customers, agents, and underwriters. Actively investigate and monitor industry trends for loss benchmarking and assist other SMS's in utilizing industry data. When applicable, develop effective risk reduction recommendations and/or ongoing risk management objectives. Provide ongoing risk management services for customers in need of risk management support and strive to ensure customer’s level of risk is being adequately managed.
- Develop effective and ongoing communication with internal business partners and agents to ensure the conveyance of timely information for new and renewal business opportunities as well as consultative communication with customers. Prepare professionally written business letters to communicate activities to external customers and agents including managing recommendations developed and submitted to reduce and manage the level of risk.
- Efficiently manage work scheduling in order to meet both internal and external customer needs.
- Prepare and present high level technical presentations and risk management training programs to internal and external customers on a variety of risk management topics and issues.
- Seasoned knowledge of risk management techniques and technology. Earn and maintain designations through self-education and training programs. This includes the application of nationally recognized codes and standards as well as appropriate state regulations in reducing the level of risk for customers. Independently seek opportunities to increase skills, knowledge and capabilities within area of specialty through self-education.
- Advanced level of knowledge sharing and mentoring of less experienced team members on larger, most complex accounts within their specialty. Conduct ride-along surveys to enhance the knowledge and skills of SMS's. Work on notable projects within area of specialty at the request of corporate or region (i.e. RSOM, Corp SM, SBU, LOB, Claims, etc.).
- Must be able to drive an automobile to travel within territory. Car travel represents approximately 60-70% of employee’s time and a valid driver’s license.
- A college degree is preferred.
- Successful completion of INS 21 (Property and Liability Insurance Principles) and INS 23 (Commercial Insurance) is preferred. Proficiency in assessing and managing risk in all major commercial lines of business developed through 7+ years of significant field based experience with 3+ years of masterly level ability in one or more commercial line of business and/or business segment. Exceptional problem solving abilities along with ability to apply OSHA, NFPA and other applicable technical standards. Risk evaluation and assessment techniques of various exposures and controls by established line of business.
- Ability to travel and meet with customers and agents to assess and maintain risk.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and agents and encourage the implementation of risk management strategies to reduce the level of risk and the potential for loss.
- Must be able to build effective business partnerships with internal team members and agents.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in usage of computer tools including: Internet research applications, Microsoft Office, work management system, eSelect tools, Cognos reports, etc.
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.